On Tuesday 6 December 2011, Senator Chris Evans, Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills, Science and Research announced the Australian Apprenticeships Ambassadors program. The program aims to promote the benefits of obtaining a formal skills qualification to job seekers of all ages. This is being achieved through the engagement of high profile Australian’s working in a range of skill and trade areas.
Over the coming year the Australian Apprenticeships Ambassadors, including sportspersons, acclaimed chefs, and television personalities and WorldSkills Australia ambassadors, will share their story of how an Australian Apprenticeship can offer skills for life.
The Celebrity Australian Apprenticeships Ambassadors
- Kevin Sheedy – Coach of Sydney AFL team, the Greater Western Sydney Giants
- Neil Perry – Prominent Australian chef, restaurateur, author and television presenter
- Scott Cam – Australia television personality
- Renya Xydis – Business woman and industry leader in the hair and beauty profession
- Andrew Ryan – former NRL player, landscaper and a member of the NRL Welfare and Education team
- Cameron Ling – former Captain of the Geelong Football Club and now apprentice (carpentry)
WorldSkills at the Australian Government’s Jobs & Skill Expos
A series of Jobs and Skills Expos will be held across Australia as part of the Australian Government’s Building Australia’s Future Workforce package.
The Expos will provide you with information about real jobs now and into the future. You can also find out about training and gaining new skills to increase your chances of finding a job.
Jobseekers, looking to change career paths, or just interested in finding out about opportunities in their region, are encouraged to come along to an upcoming Jobs and Skills Expo. Visitors will get the chance to meet with employers, education and training providers, government agencies and community groups.
Past competitors of WorldSkills Australia have become regular guest speakers at the Jobs and Skills Expo’s, providing their wealth of knowledge and experiences as apprentices to jobseekers around the country.