Beauty Therapy Competition
Beauty therapists work in the commercial sector, typically in beauty salons, hairdressing salons and spas, offering specialist services, treatments and advice for clients’ skin, nails, body care, massage and make-up. Beauty therapy may help to relieve the effects of illness, and can aid recovery. The beauty therapist may specialise, for example in manicure, pedicure or skin care. Work organisation and management, professional attitude, client care and relationships are the universal attributes of an outstanding beauty therapist.
YOU SHOULD PURSUE A CAREER IN BEAUTY THERAPY IF YOU:
- Are interested in cosmetic and therapeutic services
- Like working with people
- Are able to interact professionally with clients
- Appreciate the importance of confidentiality and hygiene
- Enjoy diversity
IT ALL BEGINS AT A REGIONAL COMPETITION
The WorldSkills Australia Beauty Therapy Competitions begin at a grass roots level in one of 34 Australian regions. The Beauty Therapy Regional Competitions test the skills and knowledge of 4000+ apprentices, trainees and students, who have the opportunity to win gold, silver and bronze medals and gain the chance to go on to compete at a national level.
WorldSkills Australia competitions operate on a two-year cycle. The next Beauty Therapy Regional Competition rounds are now running across the country. 2018 and 2020 are the next National Championship years.
Training Package Requirements
The 2018 WorldSkills Australia Beauty Therapy Competitions align to the SHB Hairdressing and Beauty Services Training Package (Release 2.0).
Training Package Requirements – Regional Level
The 2018 WorldSkills Australia Regional Competition for Beauty Therapy align to the Units of Competency (Elements of Competency and Performance Criteria) in the SHB30115 Certificate III in Beauty Services.
- SHBXWHS001- Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices
- SHBXCCS002 – Provide salon services to clients
- SHBXIND001 – Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment
- SHBBFAS002 – Provide facial treatments and skin care recommendations
- SHBBFAS001 – Provide lash and brow services
- SHBBNLS001 – Provide manicure and pedicure services
- SHBBMUP002 – Design and apply make-up
- SHBBHRS001 – Provide waxing services
- Perform facials, waxing, tweezing, eyelash and eyebrow tinting, makeup, manicures and pedicures
- Show communication skills
- Display health, hygiene and safe work practices
- Demonstrate organisational skill
Regionals Competition Duration
5.5 hours – 1 day
Training Package Requirements – National Level
The 2018 WorldSkills Australia National Competition for Beauty Therapy align to the following Units of Competency (Elements of Competency and Performance Criteria) in the SHB40115 Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy and SHB50115 Diploma of Beauty Therapy.
In addition to the Regional requirements, the National also includes:
- BSBSUS201 – Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- SHBBFAS003 – Provide specialised facial treatments
- SHBBBOS002 – Provide body massages
- SHBBSPA003 – Provide stone therapy massages
- SHBBNLS002 – Apply gel nail enhancement
- SHBBNLS004 – Apply nail art
- SHBBMUP003 – Design and apply make-Up for photography
- SHBBSPA002 – Provide spa therapies
- Perform facials, waxing, tweezing, eyelash and eyebrow tinting, makeup, make up for photography, fantasy makeup, manicures and pedicures, body massage, hot stone massage, spa treatments, body wraps and advanced facials
- Demonstrate communication skills
- Show health, hygiene and safe work practices
- Display organisational skill
Nationals Competition Duration
15-18 hours – 3 days
Find out about training options
Find out about training options in your area here