IT Network Systems Administration Competition
Network and computer systems administrators administer and manage information and communication technology (ICT) support in small-to-medium enterprises (SMEs) using a wide range of general ICT technologies. They are responsible for the day-to-day operation of these networks. They organise, install, and support an organisation’s computer systems, including local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), network segments, intranets, and other data communication systems. Competitors are required to demonstrate the ability to administer and install network switches and routes, to troubleshoot security issues, hardware and software faults, and to demonstrate competency in database enabling, operating systems, configurations, network systems, networking monitoring and e-business.
YOU SHOULD PURSUE A CAREER IN NETWORK ADMINISTRATION IF YOU:
- Have strong computer skills
- Work well with people
- Have good communication skills
- Can work as part of a team
- Are patient and tolerant
- Have good problem-solving skills
- Enjoy the challenges posed by computer technology
IT ALL BEGINS AT A REGIONAL COMPETITION
The WorldSkills Australia IT Network Systems Administration Competitions begin at a grass roots level in one of 34 Australian regions. The IT Network Systems Administration Regional Competitions test the skills and knowledge of 4000+ apprentices, trainees and students, who have the opportunity to win gold, silver and bronze medals and gain the chance to go on to compete at a national level.
WorldSkills Australia competitions operate on a two-year cycle. The next IT Network Systems Administration Regional Competition rounds are now running across the country. 2018 and 2020 are the next National Championship years.
Training Package Requirements
The WorldSkills Australia IT Network Systems Administration competitions are aligned to the ICT Information and Communications Technology (Release 3.1) Training Package.
Training Package Requirements – Regional Level
The 2018 WorldSkills Australia Regional Competition for IT Network Systems Administration Technology align to the following Units of Competency (Elements of Competency and Performance Criteria) contained in the ICT40415 Certificate IV Information Technology Networking Qualification.
- ICTNWK402 – Install and configure virtual machines for sustainable ICT
- ICTNWK419 – Identify and use current virtualisation technologies
- ICTSUS501 – Implement server virtualisation for a sustainable ICT system
- ICTTEN611 – Produce an ICT network architecture design
- ICTTEN422 – Configure and troubleshoot advanced network switching
- ICTNWK401 – Install and manage a server
- ICTNWK404 – Install, operate and troubleshoot a small enterprise branch network
- ICTNWK406 – Install, configure and test network security
- ICTNWK407 – Install and configure client-server applications and services
- ICTNWK408 – Configure a desktop environment
- ICTTEN417 – Install, configure and test a router
- ICTTEN419 – Implement and troubleshoot enterprise routers and switches
The Regional tasks include the setup a network with multiple desktop machines and one network operating administration system. This will involve basic routing such as DHCP/DNS and administration such as group policy and user accounts. This could be virtualised or physical depending on the regional implementation.
Regionals Competition Duration
4-6 hours – 1 day
Training Package Requirements – National Level
The WorldSkills Australia National Championships 2018 for IT Network Systems Administration Technology align to the following Units of Competency (Elements of Competency and Performance Criteria) contained in the ICT50115 Diploma of Information Technology (Release 2) qualification.
In addition to the Regional requirements, the National also includes:
- ICTNWK506 – Configure, verify and troubleshoot WAN links and IP services in a medium enterprise network
- ICTNWK507 – Install, operate and troubleshoot medium enterprise routers
- ICTNWK508 – Install, operate and troubleshoot medium enterprise switches
- ICTNWK509 – Design and implement a security perimeter for ICT networks
- ICTNWK529 – Install and manage complex ICT networks
- ICTNWK602 – Plan, configure and test advanced server-based security
- ICTNWK607 – Design and implement wireless network security
- ICTPMG608 – Manage ICT competition systems implementation
- ICTPRG527 – Apply intermediate object-oriented language skills
- ICTWEB501 – Build a dynamic website
- ICTWEB502 – Create dynamic web pages
Project: to create a network on a given case study. Network could be virtualised or physical depending on the regional implementation. Network to include:
- Firewall rules
- Domain servers
- Network monitor
- IT helpdesk
- VoIP servers
Nationals Competition Duration
18 hours – 3 days
Find out about training options
Find out about training options in your area here