Plumbing & Heating Competition
Plumbers install, maintain, and repair pipes and fixtures associated with heating, cooling, water distribution, and sanitation systems in residential and commercial buildings. Plumbers may also fix domestic appliances, such as dishwashers and gas cookers. Plumbers have the opportunity to interact with a wide range of different people as every day involves a new job, a new client and a new environment. The plumbing and heating competition requires participants to utilise plumbing industry skills and knowledge Competition tasks may include completing simulated installations of systems used within domestic, commercial and industrial buildings. The projects may include working with different piping systems, as well as clipping and installation of fixtures used in the plumbing industry.
YOU SHOULD PURSUE A CAREER IN PLUMBING & HEATING IF YOU:
- Have a mechanical aptitude
- Have basic knowledge of algebra and physics
- Have strong interpersonal skills
- Are interested in practical work
- Are able to work with your hands
- Can calculate weights and measures
- Can work at heights, in confined spaces and in varied weather conditions
IT ALL BEGINS AT A REGIONAL COMPETITION
The WorldSkills Australia Plumbing & Heating Competitions begin at a grass roots level in one of 34 Australian regions. The Plumbing & Heating Regional Competitions test the skills and knowledge of 4000+ apprentices, trainees and students, who have the opportunity to win gold, silver and bronze medals and gain the chance to go on to compete at a national level.
WorldSkills Australia competitions operate on a two-year cycle. The next Plumbing & Heating Regional Competition rounds are now running across the country. 2018 and 2020 are the next National Championship years.
Training Package Requirements
The WorldSkills Australia Plumbing and Heating competitions are aligned to the CPC08 Construction, Plumbing and Services Training Package (Release 9.4).
Training Package Requirements – Regional Level
The WorldSkills Australia Regional Competition in Plumbing and Heating is aligned to the following units of competency (Elements of Competency and Performance Criteria) contained in the CPC32413 Certificate III in Plumbing (Release 2) Qualification:
- CPCPCM2040A – Read plans and calculate plumbing quantities
- CPCPCM2041A – Work effectively in the plumbing and services sector
- CPCPCM2043A – Carry out WHS requirements
- CPCPCM2046A – Use plumbing hand and power tools
- CPCPCM2050A – Mark out materials
- CPCPCM3023A – Fabricate and install non-ferrous pressure piping
- CPCPSN3022A – Install discharge pipes
- CPCPWT3021A – Set out and install water services
- CPCPM2047A – Carry out levelling
- CPCPWT3022A – Install and adjust water service controls and devices
- CPCPWT3025A – Fit off and commission heated and cold water services
- CPCPSN3011B – Plan and layout a residential sanitary plumbing system
- CPCPSN3023B – Fabricate and install sanitary stacks
- CPCPSN3024A – Install and fit off sanitary fixtures
Regional competition tasks include design and fabrication of bench jobs. Bench jobs may involve galvanized mild steel with thread cutting, copper tube with silver brazed and/or soft solder fittings, bending, flared joint, branch form, copper piping with silver and soft soldered joints, flared joints and SharkBite fittings, PVC-U pipe and fittings with solvent cement joints.
Regionals Competition Duration
4.5 hours – 1 day
Training Package Requirements – National Level
The WorldSkills Australia National Competition in Plumbing and Heating is aligned to the following units of competency (Elements of Competency and Performance Criteria) contained in the CPC32413 Certificate III in Plumbing Qualification.
In addition to the Regional requirements, the National also includes:
- CPCPCM2039A – Carry out interactive workplace communication
- CPCPMS3033A – Install small bore heating systems
- CPCPGS3056A – Install gas piping systems
- CPCPGS3061A – Install and commission Type A gas appliances
Tasks may include the design and fabrication of a simulated basic bathroom and laundry rough-in with fit out. It may also include hydronic under floor heating installation and solar hot water installation.
The project may include cold, tempered, hot, and recycled water, gas, hydronic heating, waste, and rainwater harvesting, and fitting off of plumbing fixtures.
Nationals Competition Duration
18 hours – 3 days
Find out about training options
Find out about training options in your area here