Retail Baking – Bread Competition
A baker is someone who bakes and sometimes sells breads and other products made using an oven or other concentrated heat source. The duties and responsibilities of a baker differ according to his or her work setting. A small, local baker may work independently or as part of a close-knit team, while bakers in large, industrial-scale bakeries work in large teams where each is a specialist in, for example, breads, rolls or pies. Bakers need a range of skills, including creating recipes for bakery products, identifying the ingredients needed, weighing up, mixing, processing, baking and cooling of bread products, as well as organisational and skills in time and financial management.
YOU SHOULD PURSUE A CAREER IN RETAIL BAKING IF YOU:
- Are interested in practical work
- Are able to work with your hands
- Are artistic and creative
- Enjoy food and food culture
- Have good health, with no skin allergies or chronic chest complaints
- Are clean and tidy
- Are physically fit
IT ALL BEGINS AT A REGIONAL COMPETITION
The WorldSkills Australia Retail Baking – Bread Competitions begin at a grass roots level in one of 34 Australian regions. The Retail Baking – Bread Regional Competitions test the skills and knowledge of 4000+ apprentices, trainees and students, who have the opportunity to win gold, silver and bronze medals and gain the chance to go on to compete at a national level.
WorldSkills Australia competitions operate on a two-year cycle. The next Retail Baking – Bread Regional Competition rounds are now running across the country. 2018 and 2020 are the next National Championship years.
Training Package Requirements
The 2018 WorldSkills Australia Retail Baking – Bread competitions align to the FDF10 – Food Processing (Release 4.1) Training Package.
Training Package Requirements – Regional Level
The 2018 WorldSkills Australia Regional Competition for Retail Baking – Bread align to the Units of Competency (Elements of Competency and Performance Criteria) in the FDF30610 – Certificate III in Retail Baking (Bread) Qualification.
- FDFOP2061A – Use numerical applications in the workplace
- FDFOHS3001A – Contribute to OHS processes
- FDFFS2001A – Implement the food safety program and procedures
- FDFRB3002A – Produce bread dough
- FDFRB3010A – Process dough
- FDFRB3005A – Bake bread
- FDFRB3013A – Produce artisan products
- MSAENV272A – Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- Identify ingredients and weigh recipes up
- Mix doughs and process into a product
- Prove and bake to the requirements of the particular product
- Produce two varieties of crusty white dough products
- Produce plaited breads with enriched white dough
- Use rye dough with no added gluten
- Produce an artisan style baguette
Regional Competition Duration
5 hours – 1 day
Training Package Requirements – National Level
The 2018 WorldSkills Australia National Competition for Retail Baking – Bread align to the Units of Competency (Elements of Competency and Performance Criteria) in the FDF30610 – Certificate III in Retail Baking (Bread) Qualification.
In addition to the Regional requirements, the National also includes:
- FDFOP2064A – Provide and apply workplace information
- FDFRB3014A – Produce sweet yeast products
- FDFRB3016A – Plan and schedule production for retail bakery
- FDFRB3011A – Diagnose and respond to product and process faults (bread)
- Showcase a range of products including basic white, wholemeal and grain doughs
- Demonstrate more advanced products like enriched doughs, laminated doughs, savoury foods, artisan style products and decorative breads
Nationals Competition Duration
12-18 hours – 3 days
Find out about training options
Find out about training options in your area here