Automotive Refinishing Competition
Automotive Refinishing involves the paint, refinish, repair and maintenance of painted surfaces on a range of automotive vehicles and recreational vehicles. These skills must be of the highest quality industry standard possible, with an emphasis on workshop efficiencies and productivity using the latest in technologies available in our industry today.
The WorldSkills Australia Automotive Refinishing Competition requires Competitors to demonstrate the skills and knowledge of the Vehicle Refinish Industry. Competitors will compete on a number of tasks including panel preparation, priming and sanding, layout and design measurements, colour matching, de-nib/buffing and decal application.
YOU SHOULD PURSUE A CAREER IN VEHICLE PAINTING IF YOU:
- Have an interest in the automotive industry
- Are interested in technical and mechanical activities
- Have an interest art and design
- Are interested in practical, hands-on work
IT ALL BEGINS AT A REGIONAL COMPETITION
The WorldSkills Australia Automotive Refinishing Competitions begin at a grass roots level in one of 42 Australian regions. The Automotive Refinishing Regional Competitions test the skills and knowledge of 4000+ apprentices, trainees and students, who have the opportunity to win gold, silver and bronze medals and gain the chance to go on to compete at a national level.
WorldSkills Australia competitions operate on a two-year cycle. The next Automotive Refinishing Regional Competition rounds are now running across the country. 2023 and 2025 are the next National Championship years.
Register your interest to compete in Automotive Refinishing
Training Package Requirements
The WorldSkills Australia Motorcycle Mechanics Competitions align to the National Automotive Retail, Service and Repair Training Package.
Training Package Requirements – Regional Level
The 2022 WorldSkills Australia Regional Competition for Automotive Refinishing (Vehicle Painting) aligns to the Units of Competency in the AUR32420 Certificate III in Automotive Refinishing Technology Qualification.
The Regional Competition is designed to reflect the skills required to complete a given task from start to finish in the Car Painting industry. At the end of the competition, the completed job would be as presented to the Customer; the job must meet a high industry standard, with an emphasis on Workshop efficiencies and productivity. The Competition project is designed to test the Competitors skills in the following areas related to Automotive Refinishing:
- Preparation and application of Water Base Basecoats
- Preparation and application of Two Pack Primers & Clear Coats
- Masking, Measurement and design Techniques
- Colour matching: metallic and/or pearl micas
- Buffing & Polishing / Detail / Application of Decals
- Job costing and material usage
- Job organisation, planning and conduct
Regionals Competition Duration
The competition is completed in 6 hours over 1 day not including briefing or breaks.
Training Package Requirements – National Level
The 2023 WorldSkills Australia National Competition for Automotive Refinishing (Vehicle Painting) aligns to the Units of Competency in the AUR32420 Certificate III in Automotive Refinishing Technology Qualification.
The National Competition covers aspects from preparation, masking & design layout, application of primers, basecoats and clear coats, colour matching and down to final de-nibbing, buffing and decal application. These skills must be of the highest quality industry standard possible, with an emphasis on workshop efficiencies and productivity using the latest in technologies available in our industry today. The competition project is designed to test the Competitors skills in the following tasks related to Automotive Refinishing:
- Preparation of OEM and pre-painted panels
- HVLP Gun set-up and technique
- Use of viscosity cup procedures
- Application of all primers, waterborne basecoats, and HS solvent gloss and matte clear coats
- Application of Stone Guards and Chip protection products
- Measurement of the paint dry film thickness
- Amount of product used (per panel)
- Colour matching
- Measuring and setting out a set of design plans
- Detailed masking techniques
- Set out and application of decals
- De-nib, buffing & polishing techniques
Nationals Competition Duration
The competition is completed in 16 hours over 3 days not including briefing or breaks.
Find out about training options
myskills website is the national directory of Vocational Education and Training (VET) organisations and courses.
Learn more about this course by following this link Certificate III in Automotive Refinishing Technology.