VETiS Commercial Cookery Competition
Cookery is the artistry of food. These skilled professionals combine a range of different ingredients and treat them with various cooking methods to create tasty and enjoyable meals. If you believe you can cook up a storm in the kitchen, then perhaps you should look into a career in cookery.
IT ALL BEGINS AT A REGIONAL COMPETITION
The WorldSkills Australia VETiS Commercial Cookery Competitions begin at a grass roots level in one of 35 Australian regions. The VETiS Commercial Cookery Regional Competitions test the skills and knowledge of 4000+ apprentices, trainees and students, who have the opportunity to win gold, silver and bronze medals and gain the chance to go on to compete at a national level.
WorldSkills Australia competitions operate on a two-year cycle. The next VETiS Commercial Cookery Regional Competition rounds are now running across the country. 2018 and 2020 are the next National Championship years.
What does Commericial Cookery involve?
- Monitoring and regulating temperatures of:
- Other cooking equipment
- Ensuring kitchen is:
- Meets government health requirements
- Preparing food for cooking
- Cooking different kinds of foods by a range of methods
- Portioning and serving food in the kitchen and ensuring that food is well-presented
- Storing food safely in temperature controlled facilities
- Planning menus and estimating food requirements
- Preparing food to meet special dietary requirements
What employment opportunities are available in Commercial Cookery work?
- Restaurants, Bistros and clubs
- Hotels, motels and other accommodation
- Hospitals, nursing homes and boarding schools
- Flight catering centres, seagoing ships
- Take-away food outlets
Further pathways available in Commercial Cookery work include:
- Sous chef
- Restaurant manager
- Restaurant owner
- Speciality chef
You should pursue a career in Commercial Cookery if you:
- Have a high level of personal cleanliness
- Are able to organize efficient work schedules and work under pressure
- Have good communication skills
- Are able to maintain control and composure in difficult situations
- Can work well in a team
- Are creative and enjoy working with food