VETiS Retail Competition
Retail is an extensive industry that has much to offer in terms of varied career pathways. If you love customer service and have a passion for products, then sell your way through a rewarding career in retail.
IT ALL BEGINS AT A REGIONAL COMPETITION
The WorldSkills Australia VETiS Retail Competitions begin at a grass roots level in one of 34 Australian regions. The VETiS Retail Regional Competitions test the skills and knowledge of 4000+ apprentices, trainees and students, who have the opportunity to win gold, silver and bronze medals and gain the chance to go on to compete at a national level.
WorldSkills Australia competitions operate on a two-year cycle. The next VETiS Retail Regional Competition rounds are now running across the country. 2018 and 2020 are the next National Championship years.
What does Retail involve?
- Customer service
- Selling merchandise and handling point of sale operations
- Stock handling and control
- Product display and merchandising
- Acquiring and maintaining detailed product knowledge
What employment opportunities are available in Retail work?
- Retail stores
- Wholesale stores
- Department stores
- Food industry – especially fast food outlets
- Personal service industries
Further pathways available in Retail work include:
- Visual merchandiser
- Security supervisor
You should pursue a career in Retail if you:
- Have high standards of personal presentation
- Can interpret and follow instructions
- Display initiative
- Enjoy meeting and working with people
- Have strong interpersonal skills especially empathy, tact and discretion
- Have a good memory and are able to keep track of details
- Have good communications skills
Find out about training options
Find out about training options in your area here