VETiS Tourism Competition
Do you find yourself indulging in stories of travel, desiring to visit destinations across the world, reading about travel and planning for trips that are yet to be experienced? If so, then working in Tourism might be the career pathway for you!
IT ALL BEGINS AT A REGIONAL COMPETITION
The WorldSkills Australia VETiS Tourism Competitions begin at a grass roots level in one of 34 Australian regions. The VETiS Tourism Regional Competitions test the skills and knowledge of 4000+ apprentices, trainees and students, who have the opportunity to win gold, silver and bronze medals and gain the chance to go on to compete at a national level.
WorldSkills Australia competitions operate on a two-year cycle. The next VETiS Tourism Regional Competition rounds are now running across the country. 2018 and 2020 are the next National Championship years.
What does Tourism involve?
- Performing clerical procedures such as:
- Writing letters
- Sending faxes
- Sending e-mails
- Researching alternative product information and organising travel itineraries
- Taking people on tours
- Selling or promoting tourism and travel products and services
- Handling money and carrying out banking procedures
- Acquiring detailed industry knowledge
- Providing advice to clients and visitors on tourism destinations and sites
- Problem solving and handling difficulties incurred by clients
- Travelling to various destinations as part of industry research
- Preparing promotional and marketing campaigns
What employment opportunities are available in Tourism work?
- Travel agencies
- Airline, bus, other travel companies
- Resorts, attractions and theme parks
- Large hotels
- Tour companies
- Event management companies
- Tourism organisations and authorities
- Visitor information centres
Further pathways available in Tourism work include:
- Sales executive
You should pursue a career in Tourism if you:
- Are interested in overseas and domestic travel
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Have smart presentation and grooming
- Have a strong customer focus
- Are organised, methodical and work well under pressure
- Enjoy meeting and working with people from diverse social backgrounds
- Have strong interpersonal skills
- Have good oral and written communication skills
Find out about training options
Find out about training options in your area here